Topic Options
#4064 - 05/29/24 01:32 PM What could be the cause for increased ping at hop 2
Kimberley Offline

Hello, about a month ago my latency increased by around by around 8-10ms in the games I play, it also increased in my ping plotter tests, it's not a huge deal but I now have worse ping than when I was on FTTC. I am currently with youfibre fttp and there support is very slow (one message per week).

Please can anyone tell me what could be causing this increase as I would like as low ping as possible. I have tried different routers and ethernet cables and it didn't improve. The IP address on hop 2 is my static ip address (i edited out a few of the numbers). I used to only get a maximum of 2ms on that hop now I get around 8ms.

Any help is appreciated and I have attached 2 image files that show how my ping was before and how it is now.

Attachments
forumgood.png

forumbad.png

#4065 - 05/29/24 04:24 PM Re: What could be the cause for increased ping at hop 2 [Re: Kimberley]
Tyson Offline

Hi Kimberley,

Thanks for posting those images. It looks like you're on the right track here. Your overall latency to Google increased by about 8ms. Those extra milliseconds appear to be coming from an increase in latency between hops 1 and 2.

It's hard to know for sure what is causing that increase, especially since it is so low already. The only thing we know for sure is that something changed either with the route between hops 1 and 2, or with the device at hop 2, which is typically in your ISP's network. Swapping out your equipment isn't going to decrease the latency here. It could be an increase in traffic on your ISP's end. Maybe a cable was replaced. It could be weather related. Whatever it might be, you'll need to work with your ISP to resolve this.

As you mentioned, this probably isn't a big deal unless you are experiencing issues while streaming or gaming. Getting the overall latency back down isn't likely going to make any noticeable difference.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod