Topic Options
#4083 - 10/03/24 10:28 AM Hop 1 Packet Loss but Final Hop is OK?
Ron The Red Offline

My daughter is doing online learning and complained about glitching in her software when watching lectures and doing online quizzes. The attached image is at a time when all things were fine.

The attached screen shot shows a shockingly high packet loss in my first two Hops. This would indicate a problem within my own home, router, ethernet cable, or cable modem. The router is quite old and might be in need of replacement.
Looking at the final Hop, I see a latency of only 36.3ms, and NO packet loss. I have read that as long as the final Hop shows low latency and low packet loss, that I am OK
Speedtest by Ookla tells me that my upload and download speed are both around 30-35MBPS. Can I interpret the image to say that there is enough bandwidth to compensate for the horrendous packet loss in my first two Hops? I have just downloaded PingPlotter and am in awe of the possibilities, but I have no experience beyond what I have found in the help files for interpreting the results.
I am sure that there is a problem with some of my hardware, but it seems that even with the packet loss, things are fine as far as everyday use. Of course I will be watching now for the glitching, but I wanted to know what you think about the image and what it means. Thanks.

Attachments
What does this mean.png (8 downloads)

#4084 - 10/03/24 06:21 PM Re: Hop 1 Packet Loss but Final Hop is OK? [Re: Ron The Red]
Tyson Offline

Hi Ron The Red,

The thing to keep in mind when looking at PingPlotter data is that the only thing that really matters is the final destination, slate.sheridancollege.ca in your case. As long as the graph looks clean (no red) then you can ignore everything else going on the route. What is likely happening with those hops that are showing packet loss is they are "de-prioritizing" the expired ICMP packets sent by PingPlotter. Again, since sheridancollege is showing 0 packet loss, we can ignore it. You can read more about this in our Knowledge Base: https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/one-poorly-responding-router-5.

I recommend you run PingPlotter while your daughter is doing her class work. When she complains about glitching or stuttering, check back in with PingPlotter to see if there's any packet loss/high latency at the final destination. Then follow the example in this video to get help interpreting the data: Interpretting PingPlotter Data.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod